Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Living in the moment!

My mind is so consumed with all of the things that I want to do and accomplish for my family that I sometimes forget to live in the moment. It can get overwhelming. When this happens, I have to take a step back and analyze things. When I take a step back I remember that this stage in life will pass all too quickly. That is a saddening realization to me. It won't always be loud. There won't always be toothpaste smeared on the mirrors, rugs, counters, and doorknobs left for cleaning up. There won't always be spilled milk to wipe up or tomatoes that need to be picked out of my goulash for certain children of mine (throat clearing....Mady). There won't always be messy hands and faces that need to be wiped up. There won't always be homework to help kids with, and activities to take kids to and fro. There won't always be messy rooms to clean, hand prints smeared on the walls to wipe off, and piled up laundry to tackle.
My wise mother told me while we were at her house for her Sunday roast dinner, "When you are in the process of raising little children, time seems to go by so very slow, but the next thing you know they are all grown up and you realize that time wasn't going by nearly as slow as you had thought".
I cannot believe that my son is already half way to being an adult. When did he get so big and turn 9? My other children seem to be growing so awfully fast, but when the realization hit that my son is halfway to adulthood, it made my heart sink. So may thoughts surrounded me. Thoughts like, "I only have 9 more years to teach him so much stuff. How can I possibly teach him all that he needs to know in 9 short years? Will he always know how deep my love is for him?"
Having my children grown is an extremely scary thought for me. I am not ready for them to grow up so fast. The thought leaves me empty inside. I will most definitely miss these years when they are gone. It is not easy by any means, but it is so wonderful.
It's moments like these that remind me to live in the moment, because whether I'm ready or not, time will press forward, and if I'm too busy wasting my time stressing about the small stuff, I'll forget to enjoy the ride along the way. By me enjoying the ride, I am teaching my children the most valuable lesson of all.... that happiness is beautiful, and to LIVE. IN. THE. MOMENT! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...